Monitor turns on when user speaks
Daniel Bigham
2009-01-17 20:02:01 UTC
Hi all,

I have a speech application that turns the monitor off 15 seconds after the
user's question/command is answered so that power is conserved and so that
you don't have the tiresome glow a computer monitor when it's not in use.

However, I've noticed that as soon as a "Recognition" event fires in my C#
app, the monitor turns back on. It's almost as if the computer is
interpreting a voice recognition result as if it were a mouse movement or
keydown event. I find this very strange, and I don't want the monitor to turn
back on until the user speaks the keyword "Grace" that is used to get the
computer's attention.

Does anyone (perhaps Microsoft?) know why a recognition event turns the
monitor back on? Is there any way to disable this?

Thanks,
Daniel
Rob Chambers [MSFT]
2009-01-19 14:57:20 UTC
Hi Daniel,

If your application is integrated with the existing user experience in
Vista/Windows 7 (Windows Speech Recognition aka WSR), that's a by design
feature. Just like with the keyboard and mouse, any input from an input
device (now including WSR as of Vista) will re-activate the monitor.

--
Rob Chambers [MSFT]
http://blogs.msdn.com/robch/default.aspx

Daniel
Daniel Bigham
2009-01-21 13:57:01 UTC
Thanks very much for your reply Rob.

I'm using XP/SAPI 5.1, but the behavior seems to be exactly what you're
describing. Is there any chance this feature would be present in XP (media
centre edition)?

If this really is present in my XP install, is there any way to disable it?
API call? Registry hack? etc? It does waste quite a bit of electricity to
always have the monitor on when we're in the kitchen but not using the system.

Thanks again,
Daniel